Wicomico County MDGenWeb
This article, written by Betty Murrell, appeared in the inaugural issue of the Lower Delmarva Genealogical Society's newsletter, More From The Shore, in the Spring of 1982.
Wetipquin, like neighboring villages Nanticoke and Quantico, was probably the site of an Indian settlement in early times due to its availability to the Nanticoke River.
In 1668, 300 acres called "Long Hill" on the south side of this river in a creek called Wetipquin Creek was granted to Samuel JACKSON, planter, of Somerset County by Cecilius Calvert, Lord Baron of Baltimore (Liber 12, folio 124). In 1671, Samuel JACKSON deeded these 300 acres to James DASHIELL (Liber SC9, folio 80). DASHIELL built a house there which remained in the DASHIELL family until 1884, when it was sold to Thomas HAMBURY. His descendants have occupied the house up to the present time.
Wetipquin was created as a town or village by an act of Assembly in 1684 for convenience in shipping and trading. Many of the residents settled here from Dorchester County, which was just across the river, and some of the early names found here are CATLIN, FURBUSH, HAMBURY, DASHIELL, NEWTON, RENCHER, HARRIS, STEWART, MEZICK, CONAWAY and others.
At one time, when all trading was done on the river, the town was probably a very active place with churches, post office and stores. Now it is a sleepy village; they most active place is the boat launching ramp in the summertime. The Methodist Church and cemetary is being restored and is in good shape.
If Wetipquin could speak to us today, we could learn so much of our early history, both from the Indians and the first white settlers who lived there.
|HOME||Cemeteries||Historical Records||They Lived In Somerset||Interesting Miscellany|
|Archives||1877 Atlas||Photographs||Maps||Guest Book|
© 1996 - Shari Handley
Thursday, 13-Mar-2008 23:20:56 EDT