Transcribed from church record book: "Quantico Circuit, Methodist Episcopal Church, Church Record for Rockawalking, Quantico, Messick's (until 1919), and Siloam (1915-1924), 1897-1961" by Shari Handley
HISTORIC RECORD
Copied from "The Wicomico News" of Feb 24/1912 Salisbury - by J.M.S. VanBlunk July 1912 Methodism in Wicomico Co. "The birth of Methodism in this county dates back to Nov 1778 when Rev Freeborn Garrettson accepted the invitation of Wilson Rider and his wife, Charity to visit their home on a farm 2½ miles from Quantico and preach to a few friends". "These early Methodists soon began to agitate the questions of building - - - - - - in 1784 when the first Methodist church was opened. This primitive log structure stood about a mile from Quantico in a grove of pine trees and the society worshipped in it till 1820, when a new church was built in the same place. In 1847 this church was taken down, moved to Quantico and rebuilt, it's length being increased by about 14 ft. It was dedicated Mar 18, 1848 and beautified and is today a comfortable house of worship."
On the following leaf I have recorded a list of ministers serving Quantico M.E. Church, and years served. - Ira Disharoon, Quantico, Md, April 6th, 1915.
(new page)
Records searched and recorded by Ira A. Disharoon April 6th, 1915.
| List of Ministers of Quantico M.E. Church | |
|---|---|
| Robert Pattison | 1850-1851 |
| A. W. Milby | 1852-1853 |
| David Daley | 1854 |
| John B. Quigg | 1855-1856 |
| George A. Phoebus | 1857 |
| James Hargis | 1858-1859 |
| J. W. Hammersley | 1860-1861 |
| John Comings | 1862 |
| William F. Talbot | 1863-1864 |
| William W. Redman | 1865-1866 |
| Joseph Dare | 1867-1868 |
| Joseph L. Kenney | 1869 |
| E. E. White | 1870-1871-1872 |
| Adam Stengle | 1873-1874 |
| I. G. Fosnocht | 1875-1876 |
| James Connor | 1877-1878-1879 |
| E. H. Hynson | 1880-1881 |
| S. T. Gardner | 1882 |
| T. H. Harding | 1883-1884 |
| E. S. Mace | 1885 |
| James T. Prouse | 1886 |
| Zack H. Webster | 1887 |
| W. W. Johnson | 1888 |
| Edward Davis | 1889-1890 |
| J. M. Mitchell | 1891-1892-1893 |
| James Carroll | 1894-1895 |
| M. R. Hackman | 1896 |
| W. G. Chance | 1897 |
| W. R. Gwinn | 1897-1898-1899 |
| C. W. Strickland | 1900-1901 |
| O. L. Martin | 1902 |
| J. W. Fogle | 1903-1904 |
| J. H. Geohegan | 1905-1906-1907 |
| J. W. Gray | 1908 |
| W. H. Reaille | 1909-1910 |
| O. W. Brittingham | 1911 |
| J. M. S. VanBlunk | 1912-1913 |
| John White | 1914 |
| (end of page - next page begins in a new hand) | |
| T. W. Given | 1915 |
| W. P. Taylor | 1916-1917 |
| J. A. Brewington | 1918 |
| J. M. S. Van Blunk | 1919-1920-1921-1922-1923 |
| J. M. S. Van Blunk | 1924-1925 |
(new page)
April 1919 - Rev. J.M.S. VanBlunk returned to the charge, after 5 years spent on lecture platform. At 1st Quarterly Conference the charge was arranged thus -
Rockawalking Preaching every Sunday 10.30 a.m.
Siloam Preaching every Sunday 3.30 p.m.
Quantico Preaching every Sunday 7.30 p.m.
Old Records
In looking up past history concerning Quantico, the first mention is made of Somerset Circuit of 1781 - 500 members - In 1778 Freeborn Garretson was Assistant Pastor of Somerset Circuit. Dorchester Circuit organized in 1782. Annamessex Circuit organized in 1783. Quantico could have been in any of the above circuits. J. V. B.
Feb 17 1924
Rockawalking Church Memorial Windows, donated by respective families of deceased members. Cost about $350.00.
March 1924
Papering + painting interior, cost $150. - Total $500.00.
June 23, 1924
Quantico Church. Installation of Electric Light (Delco System). Cost $500.00.
Conference 1925
Siloam, taken off of Quantico Charge leaving only two points, Rockawalking + Quantico.