On August 2, 1832, Edmund Pendleton Hunter married Martha C. Abell, daughter of John and Sarah (Forrest) Abell. She was born in Jefferson County, and her parents came from St. Mary's County, Maryland. Colonel Hunter and wife reared seven children, named: Sarah, Maj. Robert W., Elizabeth J., David, John Abell, Martha C. and Mary Louisa. The daughter Sarah was the wife of Peyton Harrison, who is else where referred to. The son David was killed at the battle of Cedar Creek in 1864. Martha C. became the wife of Harry Riddle and Mary Louisa married John H. Doll.
Col. Edmund Pendleton Hunter, son of David and Elizabeth (Pendleton) Hunter, was born in 1809, acquired an education at Jefferson College and was admitted to the bar in Berkeley County in 1831. He became owner and editor of the Martinsburg Gazette. He had many interesting associations with public men of his day. He attended thp Young Men's Convention in Washington, where he heard Henry
Clay speak, and ever afterward was an ardent supporter of that great Kentuckian. Colonel Hunter succeeded General Boyd as commonwealth's attorney for Berkeley County, and he served in the Virginia House of Delegates during 1834-35 and 1839-41. During the war between the states he commanded the Sixty-seventh Regiment of Virginia Volunteers. He rose to the highest honors in the Masonic fraternity in his state, and was a member of the Episcopal Church. refs:The History of West Virginia, Old and New Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc., Chicago and New York, Volume III, pg. 242-243 Berkeley County.
Peyton Randolph Harrison, II, graduated from the law department of Princeton University and achieved a very successful practice at Martinsburg. He was appointed to deliver the oration at the 4th of July celebration at Martinsburg in 1860. Immediately before the outbreak of the war between the states he entered the Confederate Army, with the commission of lieutenant, and he and two of his cousins were killed in the first battle of Manassas. He married Sarah Forrest Hunter, a native of Martinsburg and daughter of Edmund Pendleton and Martha Crawford (Abell) Hunter.
Sarah F. Harrison is still living, at the age of eighty-eight. She became the mother of the following children: Jane Cary, wife of Rev. Edward D. Washburn; Edmund P.; Peyton Randolph. refs:The History of West Virginia, Old and New Published 1923, The American Historical Society, Inc., Chicago and New York, Volume III, pg. 242-243 Berkeley County.
Submitter: Tom Jennings, 4/7/2005
Born December 23, 1891 at Prince Frederick, Calvert County, MD, he was the son of John P. Briscoe and his wife, Kate M. Bowen. His father, John P. Briscoe, who was born in St. Mary's County, was appointed as judge of the Maryland court of appeals in 1891 and was subsequently elected and appointed four times to the same position.
Philander Bowen Briscoe graduated from Charlotte Hall School in 1909; St. John's College in 1913; and the University of Maryland, also in 1913. From 1913 until 1917, he worked in the Law Department of the United Railways & Electric Company.
In June 1917, Mr. Briscoe was commissioned a second lieutenant of the Eighth Regiment of the U.S. Marine Corps. He was then commissioned a first lieutenant in 1918 and as Captain in 1919.
Source: Extract from Tercentenary History of Maryland, Vol. II, p. 13-14. S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1925.
Additional information: His mother's name was Kate McPherson Bowen, daughter of Philander and Rachel Bowen of Calvert County.
Submitted by: Linda Reno, May 29, 2004
Born in Calvert County in 1853, he was the son of James Thompson Briscoe, Sr. (1828-1893) of St. Mary's County and his wife, Anna Maria Parran (1826-1864) of Calvert County. He, like his son, Philander B. Briscoe, attended Charlotte Hall School.
Source: Extract from Tercentenary History of Maryland, Vol. II, p. 13-14. S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1925.
"Judge John Parran Briscoe of Calvert Co. died in Washington Tuesday last. His death followed a few hours after the death of his brother, James Thompson Briscoe at Hagerstown. Funeral services were held from St. Paul's P.E. Church, Prince Frederick, Friday last. He served as a member of the Court of Appeals for 34 years." (The Enterprise, 4/18/1925).
"John Parran Briscoe was a distinguished Maryland lawyer and judge. In 1879, he married Kate McPherson Bowen, daughter of Philander and Rachel Bowen." (Descendants of John and Zachariah Bond of St. Mary's County, William Crocker Parsons, Wynnewood, PA, 1991).
Biography of John Parran Briscoe (Maryland State Archives On-Line; also includes portrait).
Born August 24, 1853 in Calvert County. Son of James Thompson Briscoe and Anne Maria (Parran) Briscoe. Attended Charlotte Hall School in St. Mary's County; St. John's College, Annapolis. Married Kate MacPherson Bowen on November 26, 1879; seven children included John P. Briscoe, Jr., Anne Etheldre (m. William S. Pye), Catherine MacPherson, Lucy Lee (m. Forney Moore Knox), William Norwood, Philander Bowen, Laurence Morton. Resided in and near Lower Marlboro, Calvert County, and later in Prince Frederick. Died April 14, 1925.
Engaged in the private practice of law, 1875-1890; after 1924 under the name of Briscoe & Jones, Baltimore. Elected state's attorney in Calvert County, 1879, 1883 and 1887. Judge, Maryland Court of Appeals, 1891-1924. Chief Judge, Seventh Judicial District of Maryland (Calvert, Charles, St. Mary's and Prince George's counties), 1891-1924. Member of the Board of Visitors, St. John's College, 1890-1924. Chair, Democratic State Central Committee. President, Maryland State Bar Association, 1905. Member, American Bar Association. Chair, Institute of Criminal Law and Criminology. Member, Maryland State Library Committee, 1905-1924. Secretary and treasurer of the vestry of St. Paul's Protestant Episcopal Church, Calvert County, 1876-1897. Member, Masons; Annapolis Social Club.
Submitted by: Linda Reno, May 29, 2004
Colonel Freeman was born in Charles County on April 16, 1800. He was the son of James Freeman (son of Nathaniel Freeman and Eleanor Douglas) and Eleanor Douglas (daughter of John Douglas and Eleanor Howard), who were first cousins.
He was educated in Georgetown, D.C. He married Eleanor Ann Semmes, daughter of General Bennet Barton Semmes. He was elected to the Maryland Legislature and is said to have originated the law to protect the property of married women, commonly known as the "Cousin Law." In 1854, he sold his property in Charles County and moved to St. Mary's County where Colonel Freeman died on August 20, 1891 at his residence, "St. Winifred's" on St. Clement's Bay. He was an ardent southerner and had three sons in the Confederate army.
Source: Extract from Tercentenary History of Maryland, Vol. II, p. 14. S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1925.
NOTE: A portrait of Col. Freeman is included.
John Douglas Freeman and Eleanor Ann Semmes were married in Washington, D.C. on August 19, 1823.
Children (all born in Charles County): James B., 1824-1825; John Douglas, Jr., 1826-1854; George M., 1828-1849; James B., 1830-after 1850; Richard J., 1832-1850; Ann, 1834-1834; Ann Josephine, 1836-1900/1913; Lewis, 1838-after 1860; Robert Marshall, 1840-1913; Bernard, 1832-after 1925, Augusta, GA; Ernest M., 1846-after 1913, Baltimore; and William M., 1848-after 1870.
1/24/1851: Death. On Tuesday, the 21st inst., at her residence in Indian Town, near Port Tobacco, Charles County, Mrs. Jno. D. Freeman, aged 46 years, leaving an affectionate husband and seven children to mourn her loss. (Daily National Intelligencer, Marriage and Death Notices, 1854-1854, Pippenger).
Robert Marshall Freeman d. at his residence, St. Winifred's on 4/14/1913. Son of Col. John Douglas Freeman and Eleanor Ann Simms, b. at Indiantown, Charles Co. on the plantation of Col. Freeman in the year 1840. He enlisted in the beginning of the Civil War in the 21st VA Infantry. Survived by a widow, Mrs. Cecelia Harrison Freeman; one son, Robert Harrison; and one daughter, Eleanor Ann Freeman; also two brothers: Bernard and Ernest M. Freeman of Baltimore. He was a brother of the late Mrs. Josephine Plowden of this county. (The Enterprise, 4/19/1913).
Robert Marshall Freeman was a member of Mosby's Rangers during the Civil War (Chronicles of St. Mary's).
Submitted by: Linda Reno, May 29, 2004
Born in Baltimore on January 16, 1896, he was the son of J. Frank and Anna (Wooden) Batty. His father has been associated with the Chesapeake Steamship Company for the past 25 years. The family is of English origin. His great-grandfather came from Sheffield, England about 1825 and settled in St. Mary's County, Maryland, where he was soon afterward appointed squire. He spelled his name Beatty but his son, Joseph Walter Batty, who was born in 1840, changed the spelling to its present form. He remained in St. Mary's County until he was about 25 years of age, when he came to Baltimore where he engaged in the transfer business.
Source: Extract from Tercentenary History of Maryland, Vol. II, p. 59. S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1925.
Although his name is not given in this sketch, Mr. Batty's great-grandfather was George W. Batty (born 1784) who was living in St. Mary's County at the time of the 1850 census. George W. Batty married Ann "Nancy" Lynch (born 1802 in St. Mary's County) on June 7, 1824. She was the daughter of John Lynch, Jr. and Kezia Wherritt.
Submitted by: Linda Reno, May 29, 2004
Major Parr was born in Philadelphia, PA on March 26, 1877 and was the son of Henry Albert and Harriet A. (Howell) Parr. On the 28th of November 1899, Major Parr was married to Miss Laura Jenkins*, a daughter of George C. Jenkins and Katherine (Key) Jenkins, members of Baltimore's oldest and most respected families. Through the maternal line, Mrs. Parr is a descendant of Francis Scott Key.
He is the owner of much noted racing stock that has won many trophies for his stables. Among his horses are: Paul Jones, the thoroughbred that won the Kentucky Derby on May 8, 1921 and Ticket of Leave who established the world's record for two miles in 1914 and it still stands.
Source: Extract from Tercentenary History of Maryland, Vol. II, p. 62, S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1925.
*Her full name was Maria Laura Sewall Jenkins. Her father was George Carroll Jenkins and her mother was Mary Katherine Key. Her grandparents were Philip Barton Key, Jr. and Maria Laura Sewall, both born in St. Mary's County. She was related to, but was not a descendant of Francis Scott Key.
George Carroll Jenkins was a descendant of Michael Courtney Jenkins (1736-1802) and Charity Ann Wheeler, both of whom were born in St. Mary's County.
Submitted by: Linda Reno, May 29, 2004
Mr. Armstrong was born in Hagerstown, MD on June 28, 1877. He was the son of Alexander Armstrong, Sr. and his wife, Elizabeth Key (Scott) Armstrong, the latter a daughter of Dr. Norman B. Scott, whose mother was an own (?) cousin of Francis Scott Key, the author of the Star Spangled Banner.
Source: Extract from Tercentenary History of Maryland, Vol. II, p. 74, S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1925.
Norman Bruce Scott's mother was Elizabeth Key Bruce, daughter of Norman Bruce and Susanna Gardiner Key. Norman Bruce was born 1733 in Edinburgh, Scotland. He immigrated in 1748 and lived in St. Mary's County until 1765 and then moved to Frederick Co. He served as a Captain and a Colonel in the Maryland Militia. He also served as Sheriff in St. Mary's County from 1761 to 1763. On November 19, 1761, he married Susanna Gardiner Key, daughter of Philip Key and Susannah Gardiner. Susanna was born here on May 17, 1742. She died on May 11, 1811 in Frederick County, Maryland. Her husband died just two weeks later on May 25, 1811.
Submitted by: Linda Reno, May 29, 2004
DENT, GEORGE B SR: Physician & Surgeon; b St Marys Co, Md Sept 13, 1868; s of Robert M Dent-Catherine Higdon; ed Maryland; George Washington U, Washington D C 1895; Baltimore U Sch of Med, MD 1898: FACS 1921; Tri-St Coll, Angola Ind; m Marie Townsend July 21, 1900 North Platte; s Townsend E; George B Jr; 1885-95 tchr Md schs, prin Hyattsville HS 1 year; 1898- prac North Platte, specialist in surg over 20 years; Lincoln Co phys 15 years; city phys several years; past pres Lincoln Co Med Soc; Neb St & AMA; mbr staff North Platte Gen Hosp; ch mbr BPOE; ch mbr Country Club; during World War on draft bd; Rep; hobby, reading; off 112 N Dewey; res 315 S Sycamore, North Platte. refs:NEGenWeb Project - Lincoln County Who's Who in Nebraska, 1940 (From Tom Jennings, 1/10/2005).
DENT, GEORGE B JR: Attorney; b North Platte, Neb Jan 20, 1905; s of Dr George B Dent-Mary Townsend; ed North Platte 1923; U of N 1923-25; George Washington U, Washington D C 1926-30; Phi Delta Theta; m Marie Applegate Nov 20, 1938 Kimball; 1930- prac, North Platte; 1937- mayor North Platte; 1934-35 pres C of C; exalted ruler BPOE 1935-36; Western, Neb St & Amer Bar Assns; Rep; hobby,
hunting; off Maloney Bldg; res 216 S Elm, North Platte. refs:NEGenWeb Project - Lincoln County Who's Who in Nebraska, 1940 (From Tom Jennings, 1/10/2005).
Mr. Dent was born in Baltimore on October 6, 1863. He was the son of Addison and Mary J. (Suman) Dent. His father, Addison Dent, served in the Mexican war with Sam Walker's Mounted rifles. About 1892, he was appointed consul at Kingston, Jamaica, serving until the end of President Harrison's administration and being reappointed by McKinley. In 1899, he resigned as consul and at his own request was appointed Register of Wills for the District of Columbia.
One of the ancestors of Louis A. Dent was the Rev. Hatch Dent, who served with the rank of Captain in Smallwood's battalion in the Maryland line during the Revolutionary war. This battalion, the favorite troops of Washington, is the one which became famous for its gallant action in saving the retreat of the commander-in-chief at the battle of Gowanus, Long Island, under Lord Stirling. Capt. Hatch Dent was wounded and for 14 months was held on a British prison ship. Later he joined the priesthood of the Church of England and was rector of Trinity Parish, Charles County, for many years, and founder of Charlotte Hall Academy.
On June 3, 1884, in Washington, D.C., he married Kate E. Yost, daughter of Louis H. and Catherine (Hinman) Yost.
Source: Extract from Tercentenary History of Maryland, Vol. II, p. 162, S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1925. A picture of Mr. Dent is included.
Submitted by: Linda Reno, May 29, 2004
DENT, William Barton Wade, a Representative from Georgia; born in Bryantown, Charles County, Md., September 8, 1806; attended a private school in Charlotte Hall, St. Marys County, Md., and was graduated from Charlotte Hall Military Academy in 1823; moved to Mallorysville, Wilkes County, Ga., in 1824 and taught school; engaged in mercantile pursuits at Bullsboro, Ga., in 1827; took an active part in founding the city of Newnan, Ga., in 1828; subsequently engaged in agricultural pursuits and milling in Coweta, Carroll, and Heard Counties; became interested in large land holdings in Alabama, Georgia, Arkansas, Tennessee, and Texas; served as a colonel in the State militia during the Creek War; member of the State house of representatives in 1843; returned to Newnan in 1849 and served as judge of the inferior court of Coweta County; elected as a Democrat to the Thirty-third Congress (March 4, 1853-March 3, 1855); was not a candidate for renomination in 1854; died in Newnan, Coweta County, Ga., September 7, 1855; interment in Oak Hill Cemetery. refs:Congressional Bios.
http://bioguide.congress.gov/scripts/biodisplay.pl?index=D000257. (Sent to me by Tom Jennings).
Key Compton was born in Charles County on May 21, 1863. At the time of this biographical sketch, he was President of the Chesapeake Steamship Company. On October 18, 1888 he married Sally Tayloe, daughter of General H. A. Tayloe of Mount Airy, Richmond, Virginia.
"In the 18th century, Wilson Compton, scion of an old, honored English house, came to America and became a landed proprietor in Charles County, Maryland. His vast estate was called "Wilton" in honor of the home he left behind across the sea. His son, who also bore the name of Wilson, was a physician by profession and enjoyed a large practice in Charles County. Dr. Compton married Elizabeth Penn, daughter of William Penn, the owner of an estate along the Potomac river known as "Laidloes." During the Revolutionary War, a ferry across the river at this point was an important means of communication between Maryland and Virginia.
At the family country seat in Charles county, William Penn Compton was born, son of Dr. Wilson and Elizabeth Compton. As a young man, he had a mercantile career in Baltimore but later in life he returned to Wilton, where he lived the life of a large planter and merchant. His wife was Mary Clarissa Barnes before her marriage, the daughter of John and Mary (Key) Barnes, who were members of very distinguished Maryland families. John Barnes was the son of Richard Barnes, a landed proprietor whose estate Rosemary lawn numbered 3,700 acres of fertile land. He appears in the records of Charles county as clerk of the circuit court for many years. Richard Barnes' son, Beale was a surgeon of the Revolutionary war, while his son, John was captain of a company of artillery in the War of 1812. He succeeded to his father's former office as clerk of the circuit court, which he held for over 50 years, from the time he was 21 until he had passed his 74th birthday, and was a highly respected man throughout the county.
John Barnes married Mary Key, the daughter of Philip Key. Philip Key was the grandson of Richard and Mary Key of Haverngorden, London, his grandfather claiming desecent from Edward Key, the first poet laureate of England. His father, Philip Key, was educated for the law at Temple Bar, London, and as a young man came to America in company with a brother of the poet Dryden. He founded Tudor Hall, St. Mary's county, and took a prominent part in the public affairs of his county, being the representative from his district to the Virginia Colonial assembly. The first master of Tudor Hall had three sons: Philip, Francis, who became the father of Francis Scott Key, author of the Star Spangled Banner; and John, who was educated for the medical profession at Edinburgh University, Scotland.
His oldest son was sent back to England to study law in his father's old haunts, Temple Bar, London. Upon his return to the Colonies he took up his profession and as reporter of the court issued the Keys Reports of Maryland, which are extant. He was one of the founders of the Protestant Episcopal church at Chaptico, Maryland, and it was mainly through his influence in London that Queen Charlotte gave the parish a baptismal font, communion set, and Bible. In the public life of the infant country, he played a strong and honorable part. He was offered a portfolio in Washington's first cabinet, which he declined because of his age and infirmities, for he thought the strenuous task of organizing a department in the new government needed a younger man than he. He ws however, a representative to the first congress, his term expiring on March 4, 1784, a date that by curious coincidence a hunger years later, in 1884, began the services of his great grandson, Barnes Compton, in the same official capacity.
Philip Key, the Second, married Rebecca Joel Sothoron, the granddaughter of Robert Morris, the financier of the Revolution; and their daughter, Mary, became the wife of John Barnes and by her marriage, the mother of Mary Clarissa (Barnes) Compton.
Barnes Compton, son of William Penn and Mary Clarissa (Barnes) Compton, was born at Port Tobacco, Charles county, Maryland, on the 16th of November, 1830. His mother died when he was three years old and his father died when he was eight. Then by a rapid succession of deaths among his immediate relatives the boy was left the sole survivor in his family, at the age of fourteen, and the heir to the estates from both the paternal and maternal branches of the house.
He was educated at Charlotte Hall and Princeton University, graduating from college with the Bachelor of Arts degree in the class of 1851.
Barnes Compton married Margaret Hollyday Sothoron, on the 27th of October, 1858. His wife was the daughter of Colonel John Henry Sothoron, a planter of St. Mary's county. They became the parents of six children: Mary Barnes (Compton) who married William Meyer Lewin of Washington, D.C.; John Henry Sothoron (Compton), of Baltimore; Key Compton, whose name initiates this article; William Penn (Compton), a graduate of Georgetown University and a practicing physician of Washington, D.C.; Elizabeth Somerville (Compton), how Mrs. H. B. Rees of Asheville, NC; and Barnes (Compton) of New York city. Barnes Compton, Sr. passed away on the 3rd of December, 1898 at the age of 68 after a long and distinguished career."
Source: Extract from Tercentenary History of Maryland, Vol. II, p. 278-284. S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1925. NOTE: A portrait of Key Compton is included.
Key Compton died in Norfolk, Virginia in 1927.
This biographical sketch contains a number of inaccuracies.
First: Wilson Compton (1763-1828) was not the immigrant ancestor. He was the son of William Compton (1733-1807) and Susanna Wilson (1730-1807); the grandson of Matthew Compton (1709-1770) and Rachel Howard (1714-1789); the great-grandson of Matthew Compton (1671-1747) and Susanna Briscoe (d. 1739); and the great-great-grandson of John Compton (d. 1719), the immigrant ancestor who claimed rights on December 21, 1664; and Mary Clarke (of St. Mary's County).
Second: The property called "Wilton" came to the Comptons through the Briscoe family.
8/2/1755: Deed from Philip Briscoe of St. Mary's County, planter and Samuel Briscoe of Charles County, planter, to William Compton of Charles County, planter for 1300 lbs. tobacco pt. of "Wilton" in Charles County, 30 ac. Chloe, wife of sd. Philip Briscoe, relinquished her right of dower. Recorded August 21, 1755. (Charles County Land Records, 1752-1756).
9/1/1757: Deed from Matthew Compton of Charles County, planter to William Compton of Charles County, pt. of "Wilton", 140 ac. Rachel Compton released her dower. (Charles County Land Records, 1756-1761).
Third: No mention, probably appropriately, is made of the first marriage of Wilson Compton to Eleanor Ann Speake on April 23, 1790. There were two children born to this couple: John Smith Compton and Susanna Elizabeth Compton.
Fourth: I have the wife of William Penn Compton as Mary Key Barnes, not Mary Clarissa Barnes. She was born in St. Mary's County.
Fifth: Mary Key was the daughter of Philip B. Key and Rebecca Jowles (not Joel) Sothoron.
Sixth: Philip B. Key, the father of Mary Key, was the son of John Key and Cecelia Brown and the grandson of Philip Key and Susanna Gardiner of St. Mary's County. The parents of Philip Key, the immigrant, were Richard Key and Mary Cartwright. He identified himself as their son in his will: Will of Philip Key, St. Mary's County, son of Richard and Mary Key, born in the Parish of St. Paul's Covent Garden, London, 3/21/1696. 3/10/1764-9/1/1764.
Seventh: Philip Key did not found Tudor Hall. This was the house built by Abraham Barnes, now used as the headquarters of the St. Mary's County Historical Society. Many years later, Henry Greenfield Sothoron Key bought the property and named the house "Tudor Hall."
Eighth: Philip Key and Susanna Gardiner had three more sons, in addition to Philip, Francis, and John: Richard Ward Key, Edmund Key, and Thomas Key. They had only one daughter—Susanna Gardiner Key.
Ninth: Francis Key, son of Philip Key and Susanna Gardiner, was not the father of Francis Scott Key, but he was his grandfather.
Tenth: Rebecca Jowles Sothoron was not the granddaughter of Robert Morris. She was the daughter of Henry Greenfield Sothoron and Mary Bond and she was the granddaughter of John Johnson Sothoron and Mary Ann Jowles and of Zachariah Bond and Margaret Neale.
Eleventh: Barnes Compton and Margaret Hollyday Sothoron were married at All Faith Episcopal Church in St. Mary's County. Margaret's mother was Elizabeth M. Somervell, daughter of Thomas Truman Somervell (of Calvert County) and Margaret Terrett Hollyday (of Prince George's County).
Twelfth: The husband of Elizabeth Somervell Barnes was Harold Baxter Rees.
Thirteenth: Sally Tayloe, the wife of Key Compton, was his very distant relative.
Submitted by: Linda Reno, May 29, 2004
R. Edgar Tippett, a member of the law firm of Richard B. Tippett & Sons of Baltimore was born in this city December 17, 1893, a son of Richard B. and Margaret (Thornton) Tippett. After high school he attended Baltimore Cit College for two years. He then attended the University of Virginia for his undergraduate degree. He received his law degree from the University of Maryland in 1920. He entered the active practice of his profession with his father and brother, J. Royall Tippett. He served in the Naval Reserve during WWI. On September 12, 1917, he married Esther Chandler, daughter of Daniel Bathhurst Chandler of San Francisco, California.
Source: Extract from Tercentenary History of Maryland, Vol. II, p. 287. S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1925.
His father, Richard Beauregard Tippett, was born in St. Mary's County on January 14, 1862 and was the son of Robert Henry Bruce Tippett and Susan Allison Ethalinda Payne.
Submitted by: Linda Reno, May 30, 2004
"A descendant of a family long and honorably known in the annals of Maryland is Richard Beauregard Tippett, who is prominent in both legal and business circles and a man to whose energy and enterprise the city of Baltimore owes much. Mr. Tippett was born on the 14th of January, 1862, a son of Richard Bruce and Susan E. (Payne) Tippett. The father was a large land owner of St. Mary's county and it was there, on an estate that had belonged to the Tippett family for many generations, that he was born.
The family has not only been conspicuous as large land owners, but his father's people, the Allstans, are known as far back as the latter part of the 17th century as among the largest ship owners of the port of Baltimore, which, before the rise of steam, controlled the clipper trade and sent out those fleets which made the American merchant marine of that day famous in the carrying trade, both for speed and efficiency. The maternal grandfather of Richard Beauregard Tippett, Richard Payne, was a large slaveholder and owner of extensive plantations in Southern Maryland.
Richard Beauregard Tippett was fortunate in having from his earliest years the best of educational advantages offered to him. He was first sent to the old historic school known as the Charlotte Hall Military Academy, and from that school he went to St. John's College at Annapolis, from which latter institution he was graduated as valedictorian of his class. He was admitted to the bar in 1885. Shortly after that, he moved to Baltimore and was subsequently joined by his brother, James E. Tippett, who had recently graduated in law at the University of Maryland, and they entered into partnership under the firm name of R. B. Tippett & Brother.
On April 7, 1885 he married Margaret F. Thornton, daughter of James M. Thornton of Baltimore." Children: James Royall, Mary Helen, Richard Edgar, Margaret Natalie, and Richard B., Jr.
Source: Extract from Tercentenary History of Maryland, Vol. II, p. 290-293. S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1925. NOTE: A picture of Mr. Tippett is included.
The grandparents of Richard Beauregard Tippett were Robert Tippett and Mary Stephen Allstan of St. Mary's County.
Submitted by: Linda Reno, May 31, 2004
"Born in St. Mary's county, Maryland on October 7, 1870, son of Robert Bruce and Susan E. (Payne) Tippett. The father was a prosperous farmer and leading citizen of St. Mary's county, where he passed away about 10 years ago. The mother has also passed away.
Mr. Tippett attended the public schools of St. Mary's county after which he took up the profession of teaching which he followed for two years. He then began studying law under his brother Richard B. Tippett and also matriculated in the law department of the University of Maryland where he graduated in 1900. He practiced law for a few years with his brother, Richard but since 1912 has followed the profession independently. On April 28, 1892 he married Miss Laura B. Mattingly of St. Mary's county, Maryland, a daughter of Joseph Mattingly. Their children: James Preston, age 27, employed by the city government as assistant engineer; Joseph Ellsworth, assistant professor in the University of California; Joseph Brinton, paying teller in a bank at Berkeley, California; and James Edgar, Jr., now associated with his father and preparing for the legal profession."
Source: Extract from Tercentenary History of Maryland, Vol. II, p. 689-690. S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1925.
Submitted by: Linda Reno, June 1, 2004
"Armstrong Thomas, who has been a practicing attorney of Baltimore for nearly three decades, is widely recognized as one of the able and successful representatives of the profession in this city. He belongs to an old and honored Maryland family, his birth having occurred in St. Mary's County, this state, on the 21st of March, 1874. His parents were James William and Fanteline (Shaw) Thomas, who came to Baltimore from St. Mary's County in 1884. Senator Richard Thomas, the paternal grandfather of Armstrong Thomas, served as a member of the Maryland legislature from 1826 to 1843, was speaker of the House from 1830 to 1832, and president of the senate from 1837 to 1843.
Armstrong Thomas was admitted to the bar of Baltimore City before the supreme bench, upon the motion of his cousin, John H. Thomas, in September, 1895 and has since engaged in the general practice of law in Baltimore. He is the author of Thomas on ÔPrayers and Instructions," and of Thomas on "Procedure in Justice Cases'."
Mr. Thomas married November 26, 1902, Miss Rebecca Truehart Ellerson, daughter of Andrew Roy and Rebecca Lewis (Storrs) Ellerson of Richmond, Virginia. They have two children: Rebecca Lewis Thomas and Armstrong Thomas, Jr."
Source: Extract from Tercentenary History of Maryland, Vol. II, p. 853. S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1925.
Armstrong Thomas died in Baltimore on December 9, 1930. His father, James William Thomas, was one of three sons of Richard Thomas and Jane Wallace Armstrong, all of whom served in the Confederacy during the Civil War. James William Thomas was First Sergeant in Company A, Second Maryland Regiment and served under his brother, Captain George Thomas. The other brother was Colonel Richard Thomas aka "Zarvona" who became famous for capturing Union vessels while posing as a French woman.
Submitted by: Linda Reno, June 1, 2004
Stanislaus Russell was born in Orlean, Fauquier county, Virginia on October 30, 1876 and was the son of Thomas Alfred and Emma J. (Payne) Russell, both of whom are deceased. The mother was born near the town of Orlean, March 22, 1848 and her parents, John W. and Susan B. (Rice) Payne, resided for many years in that section of Virginia.
Thomas Alfred Russell was the son of John B. and Martha Russell and was born in Leonardtown, St. Mary's County, Maryland, January 28, 1841. He was reared and educated in his native town and in early manhood went to Virginia. While in that state he enlisted for service in the Civil War and was made a sergeant, becoming a member of a regiment of artillery. After the death of General Jackson, he joined Mosby's Rangers and continued in the service until the close of the conflict, participating in all of the notable battles of that campaign. After his release from military duty he became a building contractor and followed that business until within a few years of his death, which occurred December 29, 1919 at the age of 78 years, 10 months, and 29 days. The mother passed away December 13, 1921, at the age of 73 years and three months. Seven sons and three daughters were born to them, of whom five sons are living.
Stanislaus Russell graduated from Drexel Institute in 1903 upon the completion of a course in architecture and structural engineering. He began his independent professional career in Baltimore in 1905 and his ability soon won recognition. He designed and supervised the construction of the Walbrook Methodist Episcopal churches; the residence of the Rev. Crawford-frost in Windsor Hills, Md.; the Lithuanian Association building; a department store for Nathan Sollod; a furniture factory for Union Brothers; synagogues for the Mishkan Israel, Shaarei Thiloh and Tzemik (Sedik) Beth Tfiloh congregations; all amusement buildings in Carlin's park; the Coliseum and Arean; and about three thousand residences.
Mr. Russell married Miss Harriet Triplett, a native of Virginia, and a daughter of William H. and Harriet (Templeman) Triplett, of Virginia on September 5, 1906 in Baltimore. They have two sons: Thomas Triplett, born 1910 and William Alfred, born 1915.
Source: Extract from Tercentenary History of Maryland, Vol. III, p. 19-20. S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1925.
Additional information: The parents of Thomas Albert Russell were John Baptist Russell, Jr. and his first wife, Mary R. Tarlton of St. Mary's County.
Born in St. Mary's County on November 15, 1862, he was the son of James and Jane Eleanor (Shemwell) Bunting. The maternal grandparents were James and Caroline (Briscoe) Shemwell who lived in St. Mary's county for many years. Their death occurred in this county at the age of 81 years. James Bunting was born in Baltimore and lived in St. Mary's county. He was a member of the Baltimore Methodist Episcopal conference. To Mr. and Mrs. Bunting nine children were born, three sons and six daughters.
Mr. Bunting is a prominent member of the Maryland Bar and lives at Prince Frederick (Calvert County). He is the editor and proprietor of the Calvert Journal. He was educated first at home and later attended Charlotte Hall school. He graduated from the law school of the University of Maryland in 1886. He married Mrs. Henrietta (White) Swindell, daughter of John J. White.
He served with the rank of captain in the Maryland Infantry, National Guard, from 1887-1890.
Source: Extract from Tercentenary History of Maryland, Vol. III, p. 205-206. S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1925.
Additional information: His grandfather, James Shemwell died in 1869 at the age of 81. His grandmother, Caroline (Briscoe) Shemwell, died in 1867 at the age of 79. His father, James Bunting, was a medical doctor in addition to being a Methodist minister.
Dr. Coppage is considered to be one of Baltimore's leading physicians. He was born on a farm in St. Mary's county, Maryland, January 11, 1873, a son of William Stephen and Charlotte (Guyther) Coppage, both of whom were natives of this state.
William S. Coppage was a son of John Coppage who was born January 9, 1842 in Queen Annes county. He lived there until the early 60s and them removed to St. Mary's county where he followed agricultural pursuits. He also served for a number of terms as judge of the Orphan's court. He died in St. Mary's county in August, 1915. His wife died in January, 1907. They had seven children, consisting of six sons and a daughter, of whom four sons survive: John B., a farmer in St. Mary's county; William Guyther, the subject of this sketch; Dudley W., a resident of North Carolina; and H. Ross, a well known dental practitioner in Baltimore.
Dr. Coppage attended public schools in St. Mary's County; at Charlotte Hall Military Academy, and St. John's College. He graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Baltimore in 1898. He married Harriett Golt on November 21, 1906. She was the daughter of William T. and Mary (Francis) Golt of Centerville, Md. They have sons: William S., born October 4, 1907; James Ashby, born September 21, 1909; and Francis Irwin, born October 16, 1912.
Source: Extract from Tercentenary History of Maryland, Vol. III, p. 339-340. S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1925.
Additional information: Dr. Coppage died on February 15, 1929. He is buried at St. George's Episcopal Church, Valley Lee with his parents. His father died on September 11, 1915. His mother, Charlotte P. Guyther, was born in St. Mary's County on June 23, 1842 and died on January 9, 1907. She was the daughter of William Waughop Guyther and Ann Elizabeth Waughop.
Born in Baltimore on May 12, 1892, he was the son of Colonel William Preston Lane (one of the three sons of John C. Elizabeth Horine Lane) who will be remembered by the Princeton men of 1872 as one of the three Lane brothers of that class who made a historic trio in college annals. His mother was Virginia Lee Cartwright, a native of Washington, D.C.
Colonel Lane and his wife, Virginia had six children: John Clarence Lane, William Preston Lane, Jr., Charles Seth Lane (III), Virginia Cartwright Lane Gambrill, William Cartwright Lane, and Samuel Maddox Lane.
Mr. Lane received his law degree from the University of Virginia in 1915. Like his father, he had a distinguished military record. The year he left college he was commissioned Captain in the Maryland National Guards. In 1916 his regiment was sent to the Mexican border for patrol duty. He served in WWI and was promoted to Major on February 26, 1919. He was discharged on June 28, 1919.
He is a member of the law firm of Keedy & Lane in Hagerstown, Maryland, one of the foremost practices in Western Maryland. He married Dorothy Byron, daughter of the late Lewis T. Byron, a native of Massachusetts, also a lawyer and his wife, Virginia S. Brewer, born in Pennsylvania.
Source: Extract from Tercentenary History of Maryland, Vol. III, p. 377-378. S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1925.
WILLIAM PRESTON LANE, JR. Governor of Maryland. William Preston Lane, Jr. was born May 12, 1892 at Hagerstown, Washington County, Maryland. He is the son of the late Colonel William P. Lane and Virginia Lee (Cartwright) Lane and the direct descendant of early settlers of Washington County and of several of the pioneer families of Southern Maryland, including the Maddoxes and Claggetts. Governor Lane is married to the former Dorothy Byron of Hagerstown, and he is the father of two daughters, Dorothy Byron and Jean Cartwright Lane. (Archives of Maryland).
Additional information: Virginia Lee Cartwright (1867-1931) was the daughter of William Joshua Cartwright and Martha Ann Maddox of St. Mary's County.
Colonel Lane is a leading banker of Hagerstown, Md. He was born on November 30, 1851 near Middletown, Frederick county, Md. He graduated from Princeton and then studied for the law. He served in the Spanish-American War and on June 19, 1896, he received his commission as Lieutenant Colonel of the First Maryland National Guard.
Colonel Lane was married twice. His first wife was Minnie Stanhope, daughter of Lewis G. Stanhope, who died leaving a daughter, Louise Elizabeth, and this child has also passed away. His second wife was Virginia Lee Cartwright of Washington, D.C. They have six children: J. Clarence and William Preston, Jr.; Charles S.; Virginia Cartwright who married James H. Gambrill; William Cartwright; and Samuel Maddox.
Source: Extract from Tercentenary History of Maryland, Vol. III, p. 381-382. S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1925.
Born on January 17, 1891 in Hagerstown, Md., he was the son of Colonel William Preston Lane and Virginia Lee (Cartwright). He was commissioned a second lieutenant in the Maryland National Guards in 1915. He was sent for patrol duty along the Mexican border in 1916. His unit was called to duty at the beginning of WWI. He was then promoted to first lieutenant and then later to Captain.
After attending elementary school in Hagerstown, he received an appointment to West Point and attended there for two years, in 1908 and 1909. He completed his education at Mercersberg Academy in Pennsylvania. He is currently in the insurance business.
He married twice. His first wife was Sophia Forrest Mickle-Saltonstall of New York who died less than a year after their marriage in January 1917. He married second, Margaret McGowan on January 2, 1922 at Carlisle, Pa. They had one son, John Clarence, Jr., who died in infancy.
Source: Extract from Tercentenary History of Maryland, Vol. III, p. 383-384. S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1925.
Musical circles of Annapolis lost a valued representative when Francis William Stromeyer passed away on the 25th of November, 1921. He was but 51 years of age, for he was born in Annapolis in 1870.
On January 21, 1890 he married Alice Clark, a daughter of George Clark, who was born in St. Mary's, Maryland where he conducted business as a printer and did some of the first printing for the United States government. He is now living retired in Annapolis, at the advanced age of 86 years.
Mr. and Mrs. Stromeyer had but one child, William F., a captain the U.S. army, formerly stationed at Knoxville, Tennessee, who graduated from St. John's College at Annapolis with the class of 1916.
Source: Extract from Tercentenary History of Maryland, Vol. III, p. 402-403. S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1925.
Additional information: George Washington Clarke was the son of John Abell Clarke and his wife, Elizabeth Underwood of St. Mary's County. He married Margaret A. Tydings on May 28, 1861 in Anne Arundel County.
Dr. Thomas was born on April 16, 1864 on the old Thomas estate in Deep Falls, St. Mary's county, Maryland, his parents being James Richard and Jeanette Eleanor (Briscoe) Thomas. His education was acquired in the Charlotte Hall School in his native county and in the University of Maryland, where he matriculated as a medical student.
He married Helen Carey Coale, daughter of the late Isaac Coale and Helen (McDowell) Coale of Baltimore. They had three sons: Henry B., Jr., Edward McDowell, and James Walter. Dr. Thomas passed away on the 2nd of April, 1822.
His last public effort was to put forth to secure a Carnegie Institute classification for St. Mary's Seminary as a memorial to the first settlement of the state and also for Charlotte Hall School.
Source: Extract from Tercentenary History of Maryland, Vol. III, p. 461-462. S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1925.
Additional information: Dr. Thomas was the grandson of James Thomas, Governor of Maryland, and Eliza Courts. His mother, Jeanette Eleanor (Briscoe) Thomas, served for a number of years as Principal of St. Mary's Seminary.
Dr. Henry Briscoe Thomas d. suddenly at his home on Cathedral Street on April 2nd. He was one of the most prominent physicians of Baltimore. He was b. 4/16/1864 on the Thomas estate at Deep Falls, this county, the son of James Richard and Jeannette Eleanor Briscoe Thomas. He married Miss Helen Carey Cole of Baltimore. Besides his widow, he is survived by 3 sons: Henry B. Thomas, Jr., Edward McDowell Thomas, and James Walter Thomas; 2 grandsons: Henry B. Thomas III and Robert Mason Thomas; 2 brothers: James Walter Thomas of Cumberland, MD and Waring Thomas of NY; and 4 sisters: Mrs. J. Thomas Brome and Mrs. John Gray Lilburn of St. Mary's City; Mrs. James B. Parran and Mrs. T. Rowland Thomas of Baltimore. Interment in Louden Park Ceme., Baltimore on 4/4. (The Enterprise, 4/8/1922).