Generation No. 1
1. William McKendre2 Davis (William1) was born 1811 in Maryland, and died 8 November 1845 in Sussex Co., DE?. He married Elizabeth J. W. Gowty 1 January 1839 in Caroline Co., MD, daughter of Abel Gowty and Elizabeth Whealton. She was born 14 February 1818 in Maryland, and died 14 May 1891 in Warren Co., IN. William McKendre Davis was the son of Rev. William Davis and Amelia Cannon.
Children of William Davis and Elizabeth Gowty are:
+ 2 i. Amanda Marie3 Davis, born 8 November 1839 in Federalsburg, Caroline Co., MD; died 16 November 1920 in Green Hill, Warren Co., IN.
+ 3 ii. William Franklin Davis, born 3 August 1841 in Caroline Co., MD; died 12 January 1934 in Caroline Co., MD.
+ 4 iii. Adir A. Davis, born Abt. 1843 in Maryland; died Unknown.
5 iv. Matthew G. Davis, born Abt. 1846 in Maryland; died Unknown.
Generation No. 2
2. Amanda Marie3 Davis (William McKendre2, William1) was born 8 November 1839 in Federalsburg, Caroline Co., MD, and died 16 November 1920 in Green Hill, Warren Co., IN. She married William Henry Watkins 22 December 1856 in Caroline Co., MD, son of William Watkins and Mahala Butler. He was born November 1824 in Sussex Co., DE, and died 25 November 1875 in Green Hill, Warren Co., IN.
Notes for Amanda Marie Davis:
Obituary for Amanda Marie Davis
Williamsport Pioneer, Nov. 26, 1920, Williamsport, Indiana.
AMANDA MARIE DAVIS
Amanda Marie Davis was born at FEDERALSBURG, MD., on November 8, 1839; departed this life at her home in Green Hill in the evening of November 16, 1920 aged 81 years and 8 days. She was united in marriage to WILLIAM H. WATKINS on December 25, 1856 [Caroline Co.]. To this marriage were born eleven children, seven girls and four boys, all of whom except two have preceded her in death.
She with her husband came to Green Hill, Warren county, Indiana, in 1861, and on November 26, 1876 he died leaving her a widow with a large family. The remarkable heroism of this estimable woman through the following years only shows the help and protection that God gives to those who trust in Him. Her life has been without reproach, benevolent, generous and kind - a mother in the greatest sense of the word, and a true friend and neighbor. These traits of character have built for her a monument that the elements of the world cannot displace. Her long Life and her peaceful departure is evidence of the things God has promised to a Christian. She was a Bible reader and chose her own text. For years she has made her home with her son ED. She was a member of the United Brethren Church at Green Hill.
She leaves bereft of a loving mother, two sons; WILLIAM, of Indianapolis, and ED of Green Hill, also seven grandchildren and one great-grandchild, two brothers, FRANK DAVIS, of May's Landing, New Jersey, and JOHN WATKINS, of Springdale, Ark., one sister Mrs. JOSEPHINE LAMB, of Battle Ground [IN], several nephews and nieces, and a host of other relatives and friends. Servant of God, well done.
Thy glorious warfare's past, The battle's fought, the race is won, and thou art crowned at last.
Funeral services were conducted from the United Brethren Church in Green Hill Friday afternoon at 2 o'clock, Rev. W.H. Franklin, of Albion, Ind., officiating, interment following in the Davis cemetery.
Children of Amanda Davis and William Watkins are:
7 ii. Sallie Watkins, born Abt. 1859 in Caroline Co., MD; died Unknown.
8 iii. Amanda Watkins, born 2 December 1860 in Unknown; died 10 February 1861 in Warren Co., IN.
9 iv. Elizabeth F. Watkins, born 9 February 1862 in Warren Co., IN; died 17 August 1863 in Warren Co., IN.
10 v. John W. Watkins, born 20 December 1863 in Warren Co., IN; died 28 February 1866 in Warren Co., IN.
11 vi. Laura J. Watkins, born 24 January 1866 in Warren Co., IN; died 21 March 1866 in Warren Co., IN.
12 vii. Emma D. Watkins, born Abt. 1867 in Warren Co., IN; died 23 March 1892 in Green Hill, Warren Co., IN. She married James M. Davis 15 March 1885 in Warren Co., IN; died 1937 in Minneapolis, MN.
13 viii. Jessie Watkins, born 1869 in Warren Co., IN; died 2 October 1885 in Warren Co., IN.
14 ix. William W. Watkins, born August 1871 in Warren Co., IN; died 1940 in Warren Co., IN. He married Rosa D. Hock 14 February 1897 in Warren Co., IN; born January 1879 in Indiana; died 1943 in Warren Co., IN.
+ 15 x. Edgar W. Watkins, born 1873 in Warren Co., IN; died 10 February 1954 in Warren Co., IN.
16 xi. Henry A. Watkins, born Abt. 1875 in Warren Co., IN; died 15 September 1893 in Green Hill, Warren Co., IN.
Obituary for William Franklin DavisChildren of William Davis and Rachel / Hannah Horne are:
Source: Caroline Co. Newspaper, issue and date unknown but death date according to death record was January 12, 1934.
The funeral of WILLIAM FRANKLIN DAVIS, 92, native of this county and member of a well known Peninsula family, who died Friday at the home of FRANK NEWELL, near here, where he had lived for many years was held Sunday. Mr. DAVIS was a veteran of the Civil War, one of the few remaining G.A.R. members of this community. His wife, who died many years ago, was Miss RACHEL HORN. Two sons survive, NORWOOD DAVIS and WAYNE DAVIS, both living near Philadelphia. Funeral services were held from Bethel Methodist Episcopal Church with the Rev. R.C. Campbell, of Seaford. Burial was in the cemetery adjacent to the church.
(My note: I have an Uncle named Norwood. Always wondered where it came from!)
Bethel Methodist Church Cemetery, Federalsburg, Maryland
Death Record of William Franklin Davis:
1. PLACE OF DEATH
County: Caroline Registration Dist. No. 64
Villiage or City: Near Federalsburg R.F.D.
2. FULL NAME - William Franklin Davis
(a) Residence: Federalsburg, Md., R.F.D.
3. SEX - Male
4. COLOR or RACE - White
5. MARITAL STATUS - Unknown
6. DATE of BIRTH - Aug. 3, 1841
7. AGE - 92 years, 5 months, 9 days
8-11. OCCUPATION - Retired Farmer, date last worked: 1903, total time in trade: 50 years
12. BIRTHPLACE - Caroline Co., Md.
13. Name - William McKendle Davis
14 Birthplace - Unknown
15. Maiden Name - Elizabeth Gouty
16. Birthplace - Unknown
17. INFORMANT - Mrs. Sallie Newell, Federalsburg, Md., R.F.D.
18. BURIAL - Place: Bethel, Md. Date: Jan. 14th 1934
19. UNDERTAKER - J.T. Frampton & Son, Federalsburg, Md.
20. FILED - Jan. 13, 1934 J.T. Frampton
21. DATE of DEATH - Jan. 12, 1934
22. I hereby certify that I attended deceased from 1/5 1934 to 1/12 1934. I last saw him alive on 1/11 1934 death is said to have occured on the date stated above at 3:15 p.m. The principal cause of death and related causes of importance were as follows: Chronic Myocarditis
24. Signed (Drs. name not legible), Federalsburg
18 ii. William Wayne Davis, born 1875 in Caroline Co., MD; died Unknown.
19 iii. Owen Horne Davis, born 1877 in Caroline Co., MD; died Unknown. He married Kathryn Dougherty 1908.
20 iv. Frank Norwood Davis, born 1879 in Caroline Co., MD; died Unknown. He married Adeline Sheehan Unknown.
21 v. Emma Davis, born Unknown; died 1892.
Children of Adir Davis and Isaac Fleetwood are:
+ 22 i. William Franklin4 Fleetwood, born January 1859; died 13 March 1925.
+ 23 ii. Isaac Henry Fleetwood, born 22 May 1869; died 26 November 1949.
+ 24 iii. Martha Fleetwood, born Unknown.
25 iv. George Fleetwood, born Unknown.
26 v. Homer Fleetwood, born 1867 in Federalsburg, Caroline Co., MD.
Generation No. 3
15. Edgar W.4 Watkins (Amanda Marie3 Davis, William McKendre2, William1) was born 1873 in Warren Co., IN, and died 10 February 1954 in Warren Co., IN. He married Lavinia Biddle 22 March 1911 in Warren Co., IN. She was born 11 May 1888 in Dayton, Tippecanoe Co., IN, and died August 1962 in Warren Co., IN.
Children of Edgar Watkins and Lavinia Biddle are:
28 ii. Vera H. Watkins, born in Green Hill, Warren Co., IN; died in Green Hill, Warren Co., IN.
29 iii. Paul E. Watkins, born in Green Hill, Warren Co., IN.
30 iv. Irma Joy Watkins, born in Green Hill, Warren Co., IN. She married Carl J. Strasser in Kentland, Newton Co., IN.
31 v. Lela N. Watkins, born in Green Hill, Warren Co., IN. She married Vernon Carr in Wisconsin.
32 vi. Georgia Watkins, born in Green Hill, Warren Co., IN.
33 vii. Donald Watkins, born in Green Hill, Warren Co., IN. He married Anita Baliff in Mulberry, Clinton Co., IN.
34 viii. Robert Watkins, born in Green Hill, Warren Co., IN. He married Margaret J. Shrum in Lafayette, Tippecanoe Co., IN.
35 ix. Bernice Watkins, born 31 July 1928 in Green Hill, Warren Co., IN. She married Stanley Shaffer in Lafayette, Tippecanoe Co., IN.
36 x. Barbara Watkins, born 31 July 1928; died 1933.
Children of William Fleetwood and Evelyn Duncan are:
38 ii. Martin Fleetwood, born 15 September 1896. He married Ida Baker 22 June 1922; born 7 March 1898.
39 iii. George Fleetwood, born 17 March 1902.
40 iv. Ida Fleetwood, born Unknown; died Unknown.
Children of Isaac Fleetwood and Sarah Allee are:
42 ii. Ada Fleetwood, born 13 March 1894; died 15 February 1977. She married Oron Francis Smith 2 June 1915; born 12 April 1887.
43 iii. Lola May Fleetwood, born 19 July 1898.
44 iv. Henry Raymond Fleetwood, born 21 January 1907.
Child of Martha Fleetwood and Frank Collins is:
© 2000 Adina
All rights reserved