Daffin House
National Historic Site



 
 

   Photo and description courtesy of the Maryland Historical Trust.

DAFFIN HOUSE    Circa 1760; 1785
Hillsboro
Private

The three-sectioned Daffin House is located on a farm overlooking Tuckahoe Creek south of Hillsboro. The main five-bay, two-and-a-half story block was built around 1783 by Charles Daffin on land he purchased in 1775-1778 and had patented in 1784.  An earlier two-room part of the mansion is a typical example of the small one-and-a-half story brick houses built by the Eastern Shore's early planters.  This particular small brick houses, however, is notable for its high quality of craftsmanship.  This older wing is also interesting for the ease with which Daffin adapted it to be secondary to his larger addition; the mansion now reads as one three-part unit with the older house's becoming a northern wing of a larger house.  The whole has Victorian embellishments and Greek Revival interior woodwork.


 Historic Sites   |   Home
©2000-2003 Caroline County MDGenWeb