A Black Hawk Soldier
Death of Joseph T Johnson in South Baltimore
Baltimore American Paper
Sat July 25, 1891
Submitted by:  Richard Johnson

Joseph T Johnson, the last but one, of the survivors of the Black Hawk war known to live in this city in recent years, died yesterday afternoon, at four o'clock, at his home, 39 East Fort avenue.  Mr. Johnson, though sixty-nine years of age, was one of the healthiest of men up to about one week ago, when he was taken with chills, and later was attacked with apoplexy, which caused his death.

He was born in Fort Moultrie, South Carolina, in 1822.  HIs father was Sergeant Samuel Johnson, who was in service at the fort under Colonel Morris.  Here also was stationed his uncle, John Lumberson, who lives at No. 421 Hanover street, and is thought to be now the only survivor of the Black Hawk war living in Baltimore.  At the age of fourteen years young Johnson joined the company in which was his father, who enlisted him as a drummer boy.

Before entering the service, he encamped with his father's companyat Fort McHenry, the regiment having been ordered here from Augusta.  The uprising of the Indians began to excite the Western people in 1832. and a short time after that the regiment was ordered to Michigan, where an exciting engagement took place, causing the loss of many men on both sides.

In June 1836, the regiment in which Johnson was drummer boy, was ordered to Alabama to put down an uprising among the Cherokee Indians.  After six months stay the regiment was again ordered into Florida to look after the Seminoles, who had been killing and burning the whites right and left.  Mr Johnson participated in the battles at Warhoo Swamp, near Tampa Bay at Whistlecootchie Cove and at Cypress Swamp.  All those fights were more or less severe, and the sufferings of the soldiers were terrible.  The undergrowth and moss was so thick in the swamps that the men could not distinguish the enemy at a distance of two feet.  At night they were obliged to lie down in the water and muck of the swamps, and run danger of death from the stings of reptiles and insects.

After these battles Joseph Johnson was promoted to a sergeantcy in the company whith his father, who was then quite old.  The deceased spent the greater part of his latter years in this city, and livedmost of the time in South Baltimore.  He leaveswidow and four grown  children.  They are Mrs. J W Hayward, Mrs John Sitler, Mrs Edward Parks, an Joseph T Johnson, Jr.  The funeral of the deceased will take place tomorrow afternoon at two o'clock from his late home


Last Update Wednesday, 04-Feb-2015 16:33:03 EST

County Coordinator

County Coordinator:  Gayle Triller
MDGenWeb State Coordinator:Shari Handley
MDGenWeb Asst. State Coordinator:
Cyndie Enfinger
Copyright © 2015 by the MDGenWeb Team. All
rights reserved. Copyright of submitted items
 belongs to those responsible for their authorship or
creation unless otherwise assigned.